Monday, March 27, 2006

Wants vs. Needs

So I was thinking about life today and where I am at in it and something crossed my mind from a conversation I had with Tracy the other day. I told her that most people focus on what they need and let what they want fall to the wayside. That society forces what we "need" to do on us and makes us let go of most of our wants. I think that is why I am attracted to the people that I am. Usually they are people who have found a way to make the two things mesh. To make their wants fulfill their needs. I want to be that kind of person. I find myself frequently enjoying what I do...but it isn't what I want to do. I want to be onstage, I want to entertian people, I want to make kids laugh, make mothers cry, make fathers look at their lives and their children differently. That's how I feel when I am onstage. I truly love going on the thrill ride that is being someone else. I sit at work today and while I am doing the job that I am truly enjoying and trying my best to love because I know it's what I "need" to do...thinking about the show I am rehearsing for tonight and the people I will get to see and share the rehearsal space with as we shed ourselves and slip on something a little more unknown and comfortable at the same time. I have to figure out how to make what I want and I what I need to mesh. My mother spent most of her life to this point doing what she needed to do and now she is medicated to stay happy. I know it's a genetic thing...and work didn't have a lot to do with it...but it did have SOMETHING to do with it. I love you all..I really do. You hold me together. You keep me in line. And you are one of my wants that is a need aswell. I don't say it enough..and I don't show it enough. And this job does have the fullfil the want of having the money and the schedule to show you all how much I love you. Please think about this for a few minutes and see if your wants and needs are meshing..and if they are...bravo. You have achieved something that I feel few do. I know that this is kinda strange coming from me right now. I've just been kinda comtemplative lately...about life. I met someone who I find very interesting and think maybe I want to spend some time with and that seems to want to know about me....which made me want to try to know me better as well. I think that's all for now. I'll blog later.

1 comment:

Alyson said...

I think that's true, and I feel lucky to at least have a balance in my life now. I could do something I love, like knitting, but no one is going to pay me for that what I'd like to make to live comfortably. So instead I do what I gotta do for eight hours a day so I can spend the other 16 with Travis and my pets and my yarns and, occasionally, in theatres. It's better than a few years ago...I think the "whatcha gotta do" kinda makes the "whatcha love doin'" that much more special.

And hey....love you too.