Sunday, January 20, 2013

Born Husband

Everyone has those things that they are just naturally gifted in. Some people can sing with perfect pitch. Some people can play a piece of music after only hearing it once. Some people can dance beautifully from their soul with very little effort. I was born to be someone's Husband. Now don't get me wrong when I say this. I am not saying that I don't do stupid things. That I don't have petty arguments and make passive aggressive comments from time to time. But what I DO do is always...without fail...put my partner first and believe that they are doing the same for me. For me a relationship is just that...putting someone's needs ahead of your own. If both people in the relationship are doing that for the other person then everyone's needs are met and the relationship thrives. I feel like where we have gone astray with feelings as a whole is that we have tried to rationalize them. Feelings follow no rational. That is why they are called feelings. Think about it...LOVE as I, and many others, have described it...is to willingly turn off the MOST root instinct we have. The instinct to preserve and protect ourselves no matter what. That instinct is diverted. We take care of someone other than ourselves. That is CRAZY....but it is what we do. Love isn't rational. It is dirty. It is messy. It is insane. It is unpredictable. It is the most wonderful feeling anyone has ever felt anywhere. Yet we constantly try to understand it...rather than just let it be. Why be scared of being hurt if the potential prize is to have someone to watch out for you forever? I am not saying that THE ONE will never hurt you...they will...many, many times...but it is about how they handle their mistakes...how you communicate as a unit...how you LOVE one another.

I love without shame. I love without fear or walls or time limits. I take off my breastplate and expose the meaty, beating bits beneath and let them do what they will. Because in my soul I have to believe that that is the only way. I will not let them break me...I will let them teach me. I will continue to charge open-hearted into battle and fight for the love I know is there. Some say I fall too fast. I say that the leap is a lot easier if you aren't afraid of where you will land and know that if no one catches you, you are perfectly capable of getting up and leaping again with the lessons you learned on the way down.

1 comment:

Jacque said...

I love what you have said but the last part of the last paragraph is the most beautiful statement of all.